Fort Hood Shooting Trial: Nidal Malik Hasan's Hearing Delayed
Nidal Malik Hasan's Preliminary Hearing Was Delayed on Tuesday After the Defense Requested a Monthlong Delay
Nidal Malik Hasan, responsible for the Fort Hood shootings late last year, returned to Fort Hood in a wheelchair for a pretrial hearing. He is responsible for killing 13 people on the army base; the bloodiest shooting on a U.S. base in modern times.
- Fort Hood Shooting, 13 Dead
- Malik Nidal Hasan - Suspected Shooter
- Sergeant Kimberly Munley Took Down Hasan
He said nothing during the hearing, and Col. James L. Pohl, a military judge overseeing the case, said he would rule on Wednesday if the trial can begin on November 8.
Lt. Col. Kris Pope said the delay was necessary due to 'certain issues', but did not list any details according to the AJC:
"We're not operating on a time limit or clock," Pohl said. "We've got to protect everybody's right."
Nidal Malik Hasan has been charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder; the hearing will determine if there is enough evidence to continue with a trial.
The Tuesday hearing was off to a slow start as well, as it was delayed for three hours due to 'scheduling issues'.
Hasan is now paralyzed from the waist down and has been held at the Bell County Jail, about 15 miles from Fort Hood.
The military hearing, known as an Article 32, is roughly equivalent to a civilian grand jury in which witnesses will tell a judge what they saw of the shooting. Colonel Pohl has said that he will call all of the 32 wounded victims.
At the end of this hearing, it will be decided if Major Hasan will face a court-martial, and he could receive the death penalty.