Google's Motorola withdraws patent lawsuit against Apple
Motorola Mobility unit said it was withdrawing a patent-infringement complaint it filed in August against Apple Inc. (AAPL) at the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Motorola Mobility reserved the right to refile claims against the iPhone maker, and said there had been no agreement between the two companies, according to filing on the ITC’s electronic docket. It gave no reason for withdrawing the complaint.
A notice of dismissal also was filed in a companion civil lawsuit filed in a federal court in Wilmington, Delaware.
Apple, based in Cupertino, California, and Motorola Mobility, based in Libertyville, Illinois, have been fighting about smartphone-related patents since at least 2010 after licensing talks failed. A non-jury trial on Apple’s claims that Motorola Mobility violated obligations to license some of its patents on fair terms is scheduled to begin Nov. 5 in a federal court in Madison, Wisconsin.
Neither Kristin Huguet, a spokeswoman for Apple, nor Christa Smith, a spokeswoman for Motorola Mobility, had an immediate comment on withdrawal of the ITC complaint. Dockets in other cases pending between the companies don’t show other requests for dismissal.