Harry Weeks, Holocaust Museum Security Guard, Discusses Shooting
Harry Weeks, a 50-year-old security guard at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, DC has spoken publicly about the tragic shooting at the holocaust museum on June 10, 2009.
James von Brunn, the accused shooter who is now in custody, exchanged gunfire with Mr. Weeks and several other security guards at the museum.
One security guard, officer Stephen Tyrone Johns, was killed in the incident. James von Brunn has been charged with murder for the attack.
Harry Weeks and another fellow security guard Jason McCuiston have not spoken publicly about the event until now.
Mr. Weeks worked as a D.C. police officer for 27 years before becoming a security guard at the Holocaust Museum in April of this year.
Weeks, McCuiston, and the deceased officer Johns, are said to have exchanged at least 8 gun shots with von Brunn after he entered the museum and opened fire.
Mr. Weeks has admitted that he and his fellow officers' lives have been changed forever by the incident, stating: "We'll never be the same again".
"It's not going to be the same anymore," Weeks said during an interview in the family room of his White Plains, Md., home. "You always knew that threat was there, well, I actually lived that threat."
Weeks and the other guard who returned fire, Jason McCuiston, have been instructed by investigators not to discuss specifics of the shooting. Authorities have said the two fired at least eight times as accused gunman James von Brunn walked through the doorway after security guard Stephen T. Johns, 39, was gunned down.
"It was just so surreal," said Weeks, who last fired his gun in the line of duty when he was 22. "Everything was just like in slow motion."
Weeks and McCuiston were not supposed to work on the day of the shooting but were called in for overtime shifts in anticipation of crowds expected to attend the opening night of a play by Janet Langhart Cohen that had been scheduled to debut on June 10, 2009.
The day of the shooting was supposed to be a day off, but Weeks and 30-year-old McCuiston were asked to work overtime to help with the expected large crowds for the debut that evening of a play about racial tolerance.
Weeks and McCuiston have been off work since the incident but Weeks, for his part, intends to return to work to see his colleagues.
"I have to go back," Weeks said. "To see those people again; I need to see the people I work with."