Head of Radio 2 Resigns! Jonathan Ross on 3 Month Suspension Without Pay
In a new statement, it has been announced that Jonathan Ross has been put on Garden Leave for twelve weeks without pay. The presenter is paid £16,000 for each two-day week. - Update 30th October 2008 18:30 GMT
THE Head of BBC Radio 2 has resigned. You could not make this up.
RUSSELL Brand has issued a statement in which he resigns from the BBC and apologises to all including the subject of the prank phone call, Georgina Baillie, 23, the "sweet" granddaughter of Andrew Sachs and all the listeners. The stand- up comic said his aim had been to provide laughter and the events of the last few days meant he felt unable to continue with his Saturday night Radio 2 show. Update 17:56 GMT 29th October 2008
RUSSELL BRAND has tonight handed in his resignation from his radio show, it has been announced. - Update 17:42 GMT 29th October 2008
BBC DIRECTOR General Mark Thompson has today suspended Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand subject to an investigation as to their future contracts. Jonathan Ross's Friday show has been cancelled. - Update 29th October 2008
GORDON Brown, Prime Minister, and Shadow Leader, David Cameron, have tonight become embroiled in the massive row that has broken out after comedians Russell Brand and TV Presenter, Jonathan Ross left alleged obscene prank voice mail messages on the ansaphone of fellow TV comic actor, Andrew Sachs, who played the hapless Manuel "I know no-othing" waiter from Barcelona in the cult sitcom series Fawlty Towers. The prank was later broadcast on air on a radio programme and has attracted 10,000 complaints, in a national Sense of Humour Bypass.
Telephone watchdogs, OFCOM, are also likely to investigate the brouhaha.
PM Gordon Brown has criticised Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross for their "inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour" on Brand's radio show.
He said the BBC and watchdog Ofcom must take "appropriate action" over four prank calls made to actor Andrew Sachs and broadcast on 18 October.
The pair left a series of lewd messages on the Fawlty Towers star's voicemail.
BBC audio and music director Tim Davie said it was "too early to speculate" on whether Brand or Ross will face action.
"This is clearly inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour, as is now widely recognised," Mr Brown said.
"Ofcom have said they will investigate the matter and it is for the BBC, the BBC Trust and Ofcom to take any appropriate action."
Sachs is upset after Brand and Ross left a series of lewd messages on his voicemail, including obscene comments about his 23-year-old granddaughter Georgina Baillie.
The BBC has now received more than 10,000 complaints about the calls.
Tory leader David Cameron has called for the BBC to be "transparent" about how the programme came to be broadcast.
"The main question is why did they allow this programme to be broadcast, given that it was pre-recorded?
"So we need to know who made the decision to broadcast it? How high up the editorial chain did it go?"