Holiday Briton dies as 'food bug' strikes four-star Italian hotel
A British man staying at the Grand Hotel Gardone on Lake Garda, near Brescia in northern Italy, has died from a food bug. 30 other British guests at the hotel have also fallen ill, though only one has died. The rest are suffering severe comiting and diarrhoea.
A British tourist has died after becoming ill at an Italian hotel where 30 other British tourists have been struck down by suspected salmonella poisoning.
Geoffrey Appleyard, 71, who was on holiday with his 74-year-old wife Jean, began complaining of stomach pains a few hours after having dinner at their four-star hotel.
Paramedics were called and treated Mr Appleyard, but he died in his room.