Horse Whisperer author poisoned by mushrooms
The author of the best-selling book "The Horse Whisperer" is in the hospital in Scotland after eating some poisonous mushrooms. He had cooked the mushrooms himself after finding them in the woods.
Bestselling author Nicholas Evans is in hospital in Scotland after eating poisonous mushrooms.
Evans, who wrote The Horse Whisperer, and his wife Charlotte were staying with her brother Alastair Gordon-Cumming and his wife Louisa at their home in Scotland, where they cooked and ate mushrooms which they had found on a local woodland walk.
After falling ill and being admitted to hospital in Elgin, it was discovered that the mushrooms included the highly toxic Cortinarius Speciosissimus, or Fool's Webcap. Symptoms of poisoning from these mushrooms include intense thirst, a burning sensation on the tongue and liver and kidney disorders.
All four were subsequently transferred to the renal unit at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, where they have been given dialysis and other treatment to support their kidneys.