Inauguration Day Program - Jan. 20, 2009
This program is partially an extraction of a previously posted article by this writer under the Inauguration Schedule 2009 and National Security, with updated information.
No detail is too small for the Presidential Inauguration Committee as its website invites the public to download a map for the attendees to navigate their way around the nation's capital on Inauguration Day.
It is another first in the history the American Presidency for the incoming President to engage the public. As of this writing, the image submission count is 6,774,133,750 and increasing. A selection of these photos will be printed in the final Inaugural Book.
For the first time in history, the National Mall will be open to those wishing to attend the swearing-in ceremony as previously reported by this writer. There are about ten Jumbo-Trons lining the Mall for the public.
The Inaugural Ceremony will start at 10 AM on the west front of the U.S. Capitol.
- Musical Selections: The United States Marine Band
- The San Francisco Boys Chorus and the San Francisco Girls Chorus
- Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks: Senator Dianne Feinstein (D) California
- Invocation: Dr. Rick Warren
- Musical Selection: Ms. Aretha Franklin
- Vice President-elect Joseph R. Biden, Jr. will be sworn into office by Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, the Honorable John Paul Stevens.
- Musical Selection: Mr. John Williams, composer/arranger with Mr. Itzhak Perlman - violin, Mr. Yo-Yo Ma - cello, Ms. Gabriela Montero - piano, and Mr. Anthony McGill - clarinet.
- President-elect Barack Hussein Obama,Jr. will take the Oath of Office, using President Lincoln’s Inaugural Bible, administered by the Chief Justice of the United States, the Honorable John G. Roberts, Jr.
- Inaugural Address
- Poem: Ms. Elizabeth Alexander
- Benediction: The Reverend Dr. Joseph E. Lowery
- The National Anthem: The United States Navy Band “Sea Chanters”
After President Obama gives his Inaugural Address, he will escort the outgoing 43rd President of the United States, George W. Bush to a departure ceremony.
The President will attend a luncheon in the Capitol’s Statuary Hall.
The 56th Inaugural Parade will make its way down Pennsylvania Avenue from the Capitol to the White House with groups traveling from all over the country to participate in the historic event.
Inauguration-related articles provided by this writer on NP:
- Inauguration Schedule 2009 and National Security,
- Mr. Obama Honors McCain, Powell, and Biden
- Yo Yo Ma and Friends' Musical Ode to Honor Obama
- Opening Ceremonies Kick-Off at the Lincoln Memorial
- Obama-Biden Whistle Stop Train Tour to Washington D.C.
- Lincoln Memorial Celebration - Preliminary Program
- Pre-Inauguration Lineups: Bipartisan Dinners; Children's Concert
- The Smithsonian Acquires Barack Obama's Image
- Techno-Access to Presidential Inauguration 2009
- The Commander-in-Chief's Inaugural Ball
- National Mall Welcomes the Public
- Unofficial Presidential Inaugural Balls
- The First Interview after the Election