India: Pakistan peace talks on hold
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stated that peace talks with Pakistan will be on hold until action is taken against those responsible for last year's Mumbai attacks. It is to be noted that the peace talks were halted by last year's terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
This comment came after the a statement released with Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani stating that action on combatting terrorism should not be linked to their broader peace talks.
India has said that peace talks with Pakistan will remain on hold until action is taken against those responsible for last year's Mumbai attacks.
Manmohan Singh, the Indian prime minister, told reporters after talks with his Pakistani counterpart in Egypt: "... dialogue cannot begin unless and until terrorist heads which shook Mumbai are properly accounted for [and] perpetrators of these heinous crimes are brought to book."
Mr. Gilani also stated the outstanding issues such as the status of the disputed kashmir region must be resolved before peace can be achieved.
In his address to the summit, Mr. Gilani cautioned that before peace can take hold, outstanding issues such as the status of the disputed Kashmir region must be resolved.
There is an expressed optimism that durable peace can be achieved in South Asia.
A joint statement released after the meeting read "both prime ministers recognised that dialogue is the only way forward" to resolve the differences between the two nuclear armed neighbours.
On Wednesday, Mr. Gilani said his nation's relationship with India has improved and "a durable peace in South Asia is achievable."