Indian Defense Chief, No Plans to Attack Pakistan
India on Tuesday said it is not planning any military action against Pakistan but stressed that the neighbouring country will have to take action against terrorists there for the relations to improve. Indian defense minister, However, refused to divulge India's course of action in the present scenario.
Indian authorities have blamed the Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba for the three-day siege that left 164 dead in Mumbai last month.
Pakistan has arrested a senior Lashkar leader who was the suspected mastermind of the attacks and shuttered the offices of a charity linked to Lashkar. Authorities there say they will prosecute anyone allegedly involved in the attacks in their own courts.
But Indian leaders have said the moves are not sufficient and have called on Pakistan to do more to dismantle the terror network they claim is well-established in that country.
Defense Minister A.K. Antony said India was "not planning any military action" against Pakistan but urged Islamabad to crack down on militants thought to be based within its borders.
"Unless Pakistan takes actions against those terrorists who are operating on their soil against India ... things will not be normal," Antony told reporters Tuesday.
In the weeks since the Nov. 26 attacks, tensions have been high between India and Pakistan, but India's prime minister, along with other senior leaders, have said they are not preparing for war.
The attacks killed 26 foreigners, and U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown have visited New Delhi and Islamabad to cool tensions in the region, and to press Pakistan to cooperate in the investigation.