Like a Jet, Edmonton baby plummets to safety from third floor
Not really like a jet, however his name is Jet, Jet Nguyen. Although on Wednesday, this young boy probably felt like a bit like a plane after getting to experience what raw wind really feels like against the face as he was dropped into the arms of a helpful passerby from the third floor balcony of “a west-end apartment building”.
For Vanessa Machiskinic, Adrian Key and the other residents of the fire stricken building, Wednesday morning started like no parents would wish a morning to start as they opened the front door of their apartment to a dense wall of smoke. Worried their family would not make it through the fire to the stairway they began to look for other options for evacuating their family. Five months pregnant with twins, Machiskinic was not taking any chances.
Thinking that they wouldn't be able to make it through the stairwell exit, Machiskinic took a chair and smashed the frozen-shut balcony door.
After finding a stranger from the street urging them to drop young Jet from the window, the couple saw their only route for escape and dropped baby Jet safely into the heroic man’s arms. Thankfully, all residents of the building escaped unharmed. It is still unknown when residents will be able to return to their homes.
Investigators believe the fire was sparked by a space heater in a bedroom of a second-floor suite.
It has also been reported that batteries missing from required Smoke Detectors in some areas of the building, prevented the fire from being detected earlier.
Most Recommended Comment
Redwater, Alberta, Canada