Kennedy Family Tree: How Many Kennedys Are Left? A Kennedy Curse?
The history of the influential Kennedy family has been marked by an immense amount of tragedy. The death of Senator Ted Kennedy on August 25 as a result of a brain tumor has saddened many Americans and American politicians. Senator Ted Kennedy's death, as well as the recent death of his sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver, has also left many wondering about the "Kennedy curse" and which Kennedys from the Kennedy family tree remain today.
Of the 9 Kennedy siblings, only Jean Ann Kennedy is still alive today. The Kennedy Family consists of the descendants of Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. and Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald, both Irish-Americans.
Joseph Kennedy and Rose Fitzgerald had 9 children:
- Joseph Patrick Kennedy, Jr (1915-1944)
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-1963)
- Rosemary Kennedy (1918-2005)
- Kathleen Agnes Kennedy (1920-1948)
- Eunice Mary Kennedy Shriver (1921-2009)
- Patricia Kennedy Lawford (1924-2006)
- Robert Francis "Bobby" Kennedy (1925-1968)
- Jean Ann Kennedy (1928 - )
- Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy (1932-2009)
The "Kennedy Curse" has come to describe the way in which many members of the Kennedy family have tragically died from unnatural or unfortunate causes. Of the 9 Kennedy siblings, 7 have died from tragic causes:
- Joseph Kennedy died while serving in the Navy during World War II.
- JFK and Robert Kennedy were both assassinated.
- Rosemary Kennedy was born with learning disabilities and received a lobotomy in 1941, leaving her permanently incapacitated.
- Kathleen Kennedy died in a plane crash in France.
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver is believed to have died from Addison's disease, a rare disorder.
- Edward Kennedy died of brain cancer.
Moreover, many of the children of the Kennedy siblings have also died because of tragic causes.