Kiwi House Fire Photo: Barbecue Goes Wrong in Granary Square
London 2012: Kiwi House Fire
Kiwi House, the New Zealand hospitality house for the 2012 London Olympics, caught on fire after a barbecue mishap on August 8, 2012. Around 300 people were evacuated from Kiwi House due to the fire, which has been blamed on an exploding barbecue gas bottle.
The fire spit flames up to three stories in the air. Kiwi House confirms that nobody was hurt in the fire: "We've had a rather large fire engulf the outdoor bbq area. Everyone is ok. We're closed till further notice. More updates as they happen."
TVNZ reporter Andrew Potter said the intense flames reached two storeys high but the evacuation was quite orderly.
"All these Kiwis, and mostly young Kiwis who were watching the Olympics are standing about 40 to 50 metres away from the scene watching in disbelief."
View Larger Map