Passing along the streets seemed so devastating whenever I see children begging for food and cents to simply alleviate their whole day hunger..The United Nations has been helping out poor children, sending aid whenever there are calamities in every Nation...but how about YOU, as individual, what are your contributions to your community?
A portion of the interview held at UP DILIMAN, MANILA PHILIPPINES contributed in order to share what simple sacrifices can be made and share the virtues she learned along the way while hanging onto her dear life..
INTERVIEWER: NIKKI RIVERA, UP STUDENT, DILIMAN Q.C
1. How was your life growing up in the province?
IT WAS SUCH A STRUGGLING ENDEAVOR TO OPPOSE ABSENCE OF FINANCIAL ASPECTS AND FOOD SUPPLY BUT DESPITE THE EXTREME MATERIAL DISCOMFORT AND FINANCIAL CRISIS, I NEVER LOST HOPE AND CONFIDENCE AND INSTEAD,I HELPED PICK JUTES (SALUYOT) & HARVEST RICE IN FARMS , CLIMB TAMARIND & BERRY TREES in EXCHANGED OF FOOD IN TOWN WITH MY GRANDMOTHER & SIBLINGS TO ALLEVIATE HUNGER FOR SEVERAL DAYS…
2. As a member of a less fortunate family, what are the things you never believed you did for your family to cope with that crisis?-
AT MY YOUNG AGE, I SIMPLY TRIED ALL MEANS TO SIMPLY EARN A LIVING. I SAVED ALL MY EFFORTS TO LOOK FOR BETTER OPPORTUNITIES BECAUSE I DIDNT BELIEVE THAT "POVERTY" HAD ITS WAY TO KNOCK ME DOWN --- IT'S JUST IN THE MINDS OF COWARDS. USING IT TO MAKE LAME EXCUSES AND JUSTIFY LAZINESS.
3. What was your motivation to continue studying up to college in spite of your situation?
OUR FATHER TAUGHT US THAT DESPITE OF LIFE DISCOMFORT, WE SHOULD ALWAYS MAKE OUR LIFE WORTHWHILE WITH NO CHEATING AT ALL…SO I STARTED TO WORK HARD AT AN EARLY AGE OF 10, MOVED TO MANILA AT THE AGE OF 14 FOR GREENER PASTURE, SAVE ALL EARNINGS AND SENT MYSELF TO COLLEGE AS A WORKING STUDENT..
4. Why did you decide to seek greener pastures in Manila ?
WHEN I SAW MY FATHER LOST HIS SELF ESTEEM AND PRIDE CAUSED BY THE ACCIDENT THAT MADE HIM PHYSICALLY DISABLED AT MY AGE OF 10- SEEING MY SIBLINGS HUNGRY--AGAINST HIS PRIDE AND HONOR, HE STOLE THE WILD CHICKEN OF OUR NEIGHBOR AND HAD IT COOKED AND SERVED TO US JUST NOT TO SKIP THE MEAL. THIS MADE ME DECIDE TO OPPOSE FINANCIAL CRISIS AND STRUGGLE TO HAVE BETTER LIFE COMFORT.
5. With all the trials that you came across, was there ever a time when you almost lost hope?
LOSING MY HOPES WILL BE THE LAST OPTIONS TO GIVE UP…SEEING LESS FORTUNATE CHILDREN ON THE STREETS STRENGTHEN MY MIND TO STRIVE FOR MORE. IT MEANS, I WILL NEVER STOP TILL MY LAST BREATH TO SHARE THOSE ENDEAVORS THAT MAY BE WORTH LIVING FOR...
6. If you were given a chance to change your life back then, would you choose a better life without those inspiring experiences or the same life that made you stronger?
I DONT HAVE ANY REGRETS WITH WHAT I HAVE GONE THROUGH, BUT I WOULD GO BACK TO THE TIMES WHEN I DIDN’T MAKE MUCH EFFORT STUDYING WELL. I WASTED MUCH TIME NOT LISTENING TO MY TEACHERS/PROFESSORS ON THEIR LECTURES WHILE MY STOMACH WAS GROWLING AND THINKING, "HOW WILL I PROVIDE MONEY FOR MY NEXT TUITION FEE?..
7. With all the changes that you have gone through and all the blessings you have received, how do you give back or share those wonderful things that have happened in your life?
I SIMPLY SHARE THESE WORDS TO EVERYONE I SPEAK WITH:
"Service Above Self" - The Rotary motto:
8. Being a successful businessman, do you still have anything you would like to achieve/share?:
YES.. I WANT TO SHARE WHAT I HAVE LEARNT. AND WILL NEVER STOP UNLESS OTHERWISE I CUD SEE NO MORE "HUNGRY CHILDREN" ON THE STREETS BEGGING AND TO SEE OTHERS USING "POVERTY" AS THEIR LAME EXCUSE FOR NOT HAVING ENOUGH EDUCATION OR A GOOD CAREER IN LIFE…
9. If you would compare your life with something, what would it be?
I COMPARE IT TO THE “ROCKS” BY THE SEASHORE..
10. Being an inspiration to all of us, what are your advices especially to those who are struggling to survive? :
LIVE FIRM AS THE SAYING GOES: " As a rock on the seashore he standeth firm, and the dashing of the waves disturbeth him not. He raiseth his head like a tower on a hill, and the arrows of fortune drop at his feet. In the instant of danger, the courage of his heart here, and scorn to fly.~ Akhenaton – BE MORE COURAGEOUS AND DETERMINED IN LIFE
Most Recommended Comment
Ilford, Essex, United Kingdom