Maldives Presidential Candidate Ibra's Foreign Policy
The Maldives has always maintained a non-aligned, friendly foreign policy with other countries in the international community. Like such, the Maldives has received considerable support from friendly nations. The Maldives should strengthen its international participation both bilaterally and multilaterally to ensure that the interests of the Maldives are being promoted in the global arena. The Maldives, being a small island developing state has benefitted enormously in its development and economic dimensions by having close friendly relations with neighbouring countries. The foreign policy advocated by the government should reflect these political relations in the international system. The Maldives should:
- maintain a non-aligned foreign policy in its conduct of external political relations;
- increase participation in international fora to promote its interests in environmental protection and in combating threats of climate change;
- strengthen relations with neighboring states and to increase regional cooperation on issues;
- strengthen international trade and development with key partner states and to ensure that the public reaps the benefits of globalization;
- increase participation in promoting democracy and good governance within the international community;
- increase awareness within the international community on the Maldives’ democratic credentials as a Muslim state. To show by example, that an Islamic community can operate on democratic principles.
The aforementioned policy directions outline and reflect the national interests of the Republic of Maldives, in the domestic and international spheres. The government should, with all its hindsight examine and evaluate the policy decisions available in order to protect and progress the well being of Maldivian citizens. The president, government and people of the Maldives should take all opportunities to address the issues of concern to the ordinary citizen and to the nation at large, and should work with all vigour and ambition to achieve the objectives specified to meet the challenges of today’s world.