Mr. Obama Honors McCain, Powell, and Biden
As previously posted by this writer when the Presidential Inaugural Committee (PIC2009) announced on Jan. 10 that President-elect Obama is hosting a series of bipartisan dinners to honor Senator John McCain, General Colin Powell, and Vice President-elect Joseph Biden on Jan. 19, tonight.
The bipartisan dinners serve to highlight one of President-elect Obama’s commitments to renew America's promise by celebrating bipartisan accomplishments.
It is the first time in history that an incoming President is hosting the bipartisan dinners, which includes honoring two former rival presidential candidates, one from each party, Republican and Democrat, albeit the latter is an incoming Vice President.
It is an Obama trademark to win over even those who don't share his views and party affiliation.
According to Mr. Obama, the three honorees have built reputations as leaders who work across the aisle to progress the nation.
"In these times of great challenge and great change, leadership requires rising above the same old narrow partisanship," Mr. Obama said, “Each of these distinguished Americans has spent his life in service to his country, at each and every moment placing the interests of America before issues of political party. That is precisely the spirit of common purpose we need as we begin the work ahead."
United States Senator John McCain will be honored at a bipartisan dinner held at the Hilton Washington. Democratic Governor of Massachusetts Deval Patrick will serve as master of ceremonies.
U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) will introduce Senator McCain.
- Ms. Patti LaBelle is the performer.
General Colin L. Powell, USA (Ret.) will be honored at a bipartisan dinner held at the National Building Museum. U.S.Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) will serve as the mistress of ceremonies.
U.S. Senator John Warner (Ret., R-VA) will introduce General Powell.
- Ms. Faith Hill is the performer.
Vice President-elect Joe Biden will be honored at a bipartisan dinner held at Union Station. Democratic Governor of Virginia Tim Kaine will serve as the master of ceremonies.
U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) will introduce Vice President-elect Biden.
- Ms. Carole King is the performer.
Inauguration-related articles provided by this writer on NP:
- Presidential Inauguration 2009 Schedule and National Security
- Opening Ceremonies Kick-Off at the Lincoln Memorial
- Yo Yo Ma and Friends' Musical Ode to Honor Obama
- Obama-Biden Whistle Stop Train Tour to Washington D.C.
- Lincoln Memorial Celebration - Preliminary Program
- Pre-Inauguration Lineups: Bipartisan Dinners; Children's Concert
- The Smithsonian Acquires Barack Obama's Image
- Techno-Access to Presidential Inauguration 2009
- The Commander-in-Chief's Inaugural Ball
- National Mall Welcomes the Public
- Unofficial Presidential Inaugural Balls
- The First Interview after the Election