Mumbai Attacks One Year Anniversary: Aftermath And Recovery
On November 26th, the residents of Mumbai, India will mark one-year anniversary of the deadly attacks that killed 173 people and injured 308. The bold attacks shook India, keeping Mumbai's residents on the edge for three agonizing days. The assault began on November 26 and included ten coordinated shooting and bombing attacks. For the most part, the attackers entered buildings and opened fire at people. There were also explosions inside some of the hotels and taxis. All attackers but one were killed. Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab was the only attacker who was captured alive. He pleaded guilty to charges of murder, conspiracy and waging war against India, and will be tried soon. It was disclosed that the attackers belonged to the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant organization based out of Pakistan. The attacks strained the already uneasy diplomatic relations between India and Pakistan. The attackers targeted famous landmarks frequented by many people, including Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station, the Oberoi Trident hotels, the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower, the Leopold Cafe, the Cama Hospital, the Orthodox Jewish Nariman House, the Metro Cinema, the lane behind the Times of India building, the island of Mazagaon, and the Vile Parle railway station.
How Is Mumbai Recovering?
Days after the attacks, some of the most influential sources in the world said the recovery will not be easy for Mumbai. But, the city is well on its way to recovery. The iconic Taj hotel has been reopened less than a month after last year's attacks. However, it is reported that the security levels at Taj and other hotels throughout the city have been increased. Months after the attacks, the police is on heightened alert. Indian government is trying hard to convey to the world that Mumbai is now safer in hopes of resurrecting tourism. Of course, the pain of the loss still lives on. The prime minister of India Manmohan Singh who is currently visiting the United States said in an address today that "the trauma of the attacks continues to haunt [the people of India]."
A Milestone For Citizen Journalism
The compelling coverage of the events followed immediately after the attacks. However, it was not coming from major news networks, but rather from people caught up in middle of the attacks. The outpouring of Twitter and Facebook updates, Twitpics and blog posts coming from people who were either trapped inside the hotels, or witnessed the attacks on the sidelines was tremendous. While major news wires took days to start reporting the latest news from Mumbai, social media channels were delivering all the latest updates instantaneously. For us here at NowPublic, the Mumbai attacks were an important milestone. We received a fair share of first-account visuals and reports that helped us relay a more complete picture of what was happening on the ground in Mumbai. See our Mumbai attacks channel with archive footage, stories and comments here.