One Year Later: 10 Reasons Not to Elect Barack Obama
Today, I offer a flashback to a post I published one year ago today which offered 10 Reasons Not to Elect Barack Obama president of the United States. Was I right?
1. Obama said he wants to establish a civilian national security force and, in doing so, further enlarge the federal government.
2. Obama said his energy policy will bankrupt coal companies that try to build new plants.
3. Obama said he will drastically cut defense spending, research and capabilities while our enemies and potential adversaries continue their own efforts. Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) confirmed Obama is following through on the promise here.
4. Obama stood by and did nothing while his colleagues in the Democrat-controlled Congress voted to throw hundreds of billions of dollars at the nation’s recent economic meltdown while not taking responsibility for what caused it.
5. Obama said his campaign was — and his administration will be — free of the influence of lobbyists. Once in, all of that changed, according to a Fox News report. Obama broke this pledge early in his presidency with the nomination of William Lynn as deputy defense secretary. Lynn was registered until last July as a defense lobbyist for Raytheon Co., where he advocated for a range of military programs. Even though Obama did issue the ethics rules he promised on the campaign trail, he ended up issuing a waiver on Lynn's behalf after senators threatened to hold up the nomination. Lynn was confirmed, and the administration continued to grant waivers for subsequent former lobbyists.
6. Obama promoted a culture of death by supporting so-called “pro-choice” legislation at every turn and counting Planned Parenthood as a strong and close ally. Continuing that line of thinking, federal funding of abortion is said to remain in the near-2,000-page health care reform bill now under consideration in Congress.
7. In his own voice and his own words, Obama reads from his memoir, Dreams From My Father, and expresses views that can only be viewed as hateful toward what he calls “white folks.” Further, his wife Michelle plays the race card (video removed from YouTube), too.
8. Obama’s friends in the mainstream news media tout him as a “gifted orator,” but when he’s without his teleprompter, things look much different. See examples here.
9. Based on Obama’s error-filled knowledge of the United States (i.e., he said he had traveled to 57 states), many find it hard to believe Obama graduated from Columbia University and Harvard Law School and was elected a U.S. senator. Now, there's even a coin collection to commemorate the "Seven Mystery States."
10. Was it a gaffe or was it true? During an appearance on ABC’s "This Week with George Stephanopoulus," Obama admitted he’s a Muslim (video pulled from YouTube).
Today, I'm forced to conclude that the one-time most-liberal member of the U.S. Senate is now the most-liberal president ever.