Pakistan PM says India making excuses to cover security failure
Ruling out possibility of war with India, Pakistan Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani on Wednesday that New Delhi was showing aggressive mood under public pressure because of its intelligence failure in Mumbai attacks.
Talking to reporters after addressing the ninth convocation of Allama Iqbal Medical College in Lahore, Gilani said: "India is looking for a scapegoat but Pakistan being a responsible state does not want war. We don't want war and if India opts for a misadventure, then the whole Pakistani nation will stand united against this threat."
The Pakistan prime minister said his government and army had been assessing the situation with India. "In my assessment, there will be no war. If India provides solid evidence of Mumbai attacks, we'll share it with the people of Pakistan and act accordingly," he said.
Asked if it was India's election stunt, Gilani declined to comment on India's internal political situation.
About the possibility of Indian involvement in Wednesday's blast in Lahore, Gilani said he would only be able to comment on the basis of the provincial government's report.
Earlier, a mini-truck carrying explosives was detonated in a residential area reserved for government officials in Lahore, the cultural capital of Pakistan, killing one woman and wounding five other people. The explosion in the Government Officers' Residences-II panicked the locals.
The woman who lost her life in the blast was identified as Farzana Bibi while the injured were including Shanawar Masih, Pervez, Sabir, M Arif and Iftikhar. Farzana Bibi and her husband Salamat were passing through the area when the blast occurred.
The windowpanes broke away and a wall also collapsed due to the blast. The vehicle turned into a pile of mangled metal. A transformer also exploded soon after the blast.
According to rescue services officials, at least five persons received injuries and were taken to hospital.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blast.
A senior police official said it was premature to fix responsibility on any organisation or group. "It was a planned terrorist act, as you can see from the type of device used. It is a sophisticated device. We are looking into all possibilities," Deputy Superintendent of Police Multan Khan said.