Pakistan will ignore Mumbai gunmen's consular plea
Sanjay Jha | December 24, 2008 at 11:23 pmby
136 views | 0 Recommendations | 0 comments
The government of Pakistan on Thursday categorically refused to provide any legal aid to Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist who was captured alive by the Indian security forces during the deadly terror attacks in Mumbai.
Pakistan will not act upon the plea of Ajmal Amir Kasab, detained in India for last month’s terror attacks on Mumbai, for providing consular access, Prime Minister’s Adviser on Interior Affairs Rehman Malik said on Wednesday.
“There is no question of consular access unless it is proved that Ajmal Kasab is a Pakistan national,” the adviser told reporters after a function at the headquarters of the National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra).
“We have thoroughly checked the registration record but have not found Ajmal Kasab’s name in the Nadra database.
“Therefore we are not sure whether he is a Pakistani. How we can give him consular access without having knowledge about his nationality?”
The adviser said the leaderships of both Pakistan and India were sensible enough to know that any decision might trigger a conflict. The leaderships and people of both countries do not want a war.”
He said the government would take all steps to save the country from external threats and terrorism.
These members have powered this story: