Photos released of terrorist mastermind at Gitmo
Photos of the terrorist from 9/11 at Guantanamo Bay have been floating aroung the internet and now that there in the hands of anyone, terrorist groups are looking at the picture of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed for motivation to inspire more attacks towards the United States.
The photographs, taken in July by the Red Cross at the detention center on a U.S. naval base in Cuba, show Mohammed sitting serenely wearing a white robe, a red-patterned headdress and a long salt-and-pepper beard.
Ever since Mohammed was imprisoned these photos are the first known images of him after the one taken when he got captured in Pakistan in March 2003.
The International Committee of the Red Cross, which photographs Guantanamo prisoners as part of its mission to monitor their treatment, confirmed on Wednesday that it took the images in July and sent them to his family. Spokesman Bernard Barrett did not identify the location of the family or specify their relationship.
The photos weren't intented to be posted on the internet, they were merely supposed to be for the family of Mohammed. The military let the red cross crew take photos of the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, so they took 107 inmates photos and let there families have five prints, along with a personal message.
Mohammed's photos began appearing in recent days on Internet sites that have previously been used by al-Qaida and sympathizers to communicate with each other, said Jarret Brachman, the former research director at the Combating Terrorism Center of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
Brachman, a terrrorist researcher based in Fargo, North Dakota, said "what's problematic for me is it really humanizes the guy, I understand the value of these photos for family members, but at the same time this is the guy who planned 9-11."
Leah Farrall, an Australian counter-terrorism expert, seen the photo on the internet on Sept. 3 in the forum of al-Quada and in support of Mohammed. Farrell had replied by saying "We'll come and get you' is one message that I saw."
Navy Lt. Cmdr. Brook DeWalt, a spokesman for the prison where the U.S. holds about 225 men, said the military is not concerned with distribution of the images and takes no position on how families of prisoners handle their photos.
Mohammed faces the death penalty if convicted by the military tribunal at Guantanamo. But his trial has been suspended as President Barack Obama, who said he wants to close Guantanamo in January, decides how to proceed with the war crimes prosecutions begun under his predecessor
Mohammed now is still in Guantanamo Bay in a place for "high value detainees", which is camp 7 a ultrahigh security section.