Poll shows majority of GOP believe Obama is a Socialist
Conducted by Research 2000 for the Daily Kos blog, the survey reveals also that 21 percent of Republicans say he is not, and 16 percent aren't sure.
The poll used randomly sampled 2003 self-identified Republicans nationwide ; of those polled, 56 percent of those interviewed were men, and 44 percent were women; 42 percent were from the South, 25 percent were from the West, 22 percent were from the Midwest, and 11 percent were from the Northeast.
Is it any wonder that people from GOP strongholds would adhere to this view of Obama, one wonders?
The poll claims a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percent.
Among the poll's findings:
- Republicans prefer Sarah Palin over others cited as 2012 GOP presidential candidates. Palin drew 16% — with Romney 11%, Cheney 10%, Gingrich 7%, Huckabee 7%, Pawlenty 3%, Paul 2%, and Thune 2%. 42% said they were still undecided.
- 39% believe Barack Obama "should be impeached" — with 32% saying no, and 29% not sure.
- 36% believe Obama was not "born in the United States," while 42% said he was, and 22% were not sure.
- Asked, "Do you believe Sarah Palin is more qualified to be President than Barack Obama?", 53% said yes, and 14% said no — with 33% not sure.
- 59% percent oppose giving amnesty to "illegal immigrants now living in the United States" if "they pay a fine and learn English."
- 55% oppose letting openly gay men and women serve in the military.
- 77% oppose same-sex marriage.
- 68% oppose giving gay couples state or federal benefits.
- 73% oppose allowing openly gay men and women to teach in the public schools.
- 77% believe that public school students should be taught that "the book of Genesis in the Bible explains how God created the world."
- 76% believe that marriages are "equal partnerships" between men and women.
- 76% consider abortion to be murder.
- 91% support the death penalty.
- 67% answered affirmatively that "the only way for an individual to go to heaven is through Jesus Christ."
Regarding the poll's significant finding that almost two-thirds of Republicans think Barack Obama is a "socialist," 66% of men interviewed agreed he is, while 60% of women concurred.