Real estate tycoon wants US, UK to leave Pakistan alone
hussain | January 18, 2009 at 12:02 pmby
906 views | 0 Recommendations | 2 comments
There is no economic problem in Pakistan but the rampant corruption, and if there is no corruption and left alone by the US and Britain, the country could achieve self-reliance within four years.
“In this regard, we had also suggested some steps through we could have repaid the country’s debt,” Malik Riaz said. “In fact, every big figure in Pakistan is part of land mafia as no poor can grab land of another, therefore, there is a need to lay hands on big fish. All those sitting in the government are part of the mafia, otherwise a law can be passed within 24 hours,” he said.
Malik Riaz said that all areas have their own desperados who do not allow setting up of schools in the respective areas so that people could not get education. He said that he did not get education from college or university and has learnt everything from experiences of his life. He said that an under-construction university affiliated with Middlesex University of Britain would start functioning in Pakistan.
“After the October 8, 2005 earthquake in Pakistan, the government had no machinery to remove debris and without any request from the government, we shifted our machinery to the quake-hit areas. We have left no room for a fraud in Bahria Town project and any other scheme in which it is a partner. We are always alert about the mafia. Whenever I announce a new scheme, the pocket plots are purchased there in a single night. Then I pay several times more to acquire such plots so that every person can get a plot,” Malik Riaz said.
“Under a law of the Punjab government, if anybody purchase 80 per cent land anywhere, he can get the remaining 20 per cent land vacated after payment to the owners,” he added.
The Bahria Town chief said that according to his estimates, currently Pakistan needs 700,000 new houses annually whereas the government is building only 250,000 houses. He said that neither he is a political person nor has any intention to join politics. He said he has allocated 75 per cent of his assets for welfare activities while the remaining 25 per cent is meant for his family.
“There is nothing to worry about and expatriate Pakistanis should make investment in their homeland without any fear. Only there is a need for purchasing property and making investment in a planned manner,” he said.
Malik Riaz said that Bahria Town is the largest housing project in Asia with annual turnover of $1 billion. He said that 20,000 people are employed in the Bahria Town project and thus it is source of income for 100,000 people. He said that Henry Ford, the owner of the American car manufacturer, Ford, impressed him immensely for being a semi-educated person like himself. Quoting Henry Ford that he desired always to be remembered as a philanthropist, Malik Riaz said it is his wish that instead of a real estate tycoon he is remembered as a welfare tycoon.
A large number of Pakistani expatriates in Britain attended the forum held in a big hall of the House of Lords. People from all walks of life including representatives of political, social and religious organisations attended the forum and asked questions from Malik Riaz Hussain. There was so much rush of people that around 150 people stood for two hours while another 150 people could not attend the forum because the management of the hall had stopped them outside the hall because of huge rush inside.