Schoolboy, 14, Dies after Allergic Reaction to Acne Treatment
Shaun Jones 14, of Pontypridd, Wales, has collapsed and died after suffering an allergic reaction to an acne treatment. The drug has not been named, but the manufacturers are believed to be Roche, who have issued a statement saying that all drugs carry some risks.
The family, from Rhydyfelin, near Pontypridd, South Wales, are declining to name the acne treatment until medical tests are completed.
The schoolboy went to a GP after developing the common teenage skin condition earlier this month. He died on October 21.
Mr Jones added: 'The doctor that gave him the tablets is really upset, but we don't blame him. It was just one of those terrible things.
'He was one of those boys that didn't stop. He'd come back from rugby training then race out again to be with his mates. He had so much energy.
Some acne medication warns of the dangers of allergic reaction to the skin and respiratory tracts - but deaths are described as very rare.
The 'gold standard' acne drug, marketed in Britain under the brand name Roaccutane and targeted at the severest cases of acne, has been linked to hundreds of suicides amongst users - including at least 15 in the UK.
But its manufacturer, Roche, has always rejected claims that it causes depression or other mental health problems and there is no suggestion it was prescribed in Shaun's case.
A public funeral service is due to take place at St Luke’s Church, Rhydyfelin on Thursday morning.
Cardiff coroner Mary Hassell adjourned the inquest for more investigations into his death.
A spokesman for Rhondda Cynon Taff Local Health Board said: 'We cannot comment on individual cases but we would co-operate with any investigation.'