Sri Lanka: 69 percent kids malnourished
Now the Tamils in Vanni area apart from surviving the sri lanka army shelling, they are also now facing serious malnutrition. The food available in the area is one fifth of what is required for the people. Deaths due to starvation started increasing.
As per the Vanni health officials :
1) 69 % of kids are malnutritioned
2) Mothers are unable to breastfeed due to malnutrition
3) Milk powder available only for one-month kids
4) Kids more than one month has to live by black tea
5) Number of unattended babies seen whose mothers are killed in the attacks
6) Many are suffering from diarrhoea
Four years ago, there were only 2 percent of children below 5 years of age, malnourished in Vanni. But, today, 69 percent of them are malnourished, said health officials of Mullaiththeevu working in the so-called safety zone. Mothers are unable to breastfeed due to malnutrition. Presently, only one-month-old babies are given with milk powder due to lack of supplies. No milk powder is available in the market. Older babies have to satisfy themselves with black tea. There are unattended babies whose mothers have been killed. Recently, a baby was brought to the hospital by relatives, because it was given rice to eat and the baby couldn't handle it, the health officials reported further.