UN: Congolese troops raped, pillaged villages (Updated)
UPDATES: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has made a fresh plea for 3,000 more peacekeepers to be sent to the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo. In New York, Mr Ban also called for a ceasefire so aid workers could urgently help "at least 100,000 refugees" cut off in rebel-held areas near Goma. A 17,000-strong UN force in Congo has been unable to stop the fighting or halt the rebel advance.
Last week, the UN mission in Congo (MONUC) accused Gen Laurent Nikunda of war crimes that took place in Kiwanja. But as further investigation reveal, the Armed Forces of DR Congo has also carried violations of Human Rights. This revelations add more urgency to the Congolese crisis as Cholera and short aid are hovering over refugee camps.
GOMA, Congo (AP) - Hundreds of Congolese soldiers have rampaged through several villages in eastern Congo, the U.N. said Tuesday, alleging that the soldiers were raping women and pillaging homes as they pulled back ahead of a feared rebel advance. U.N. peacekeeping spokesman Col. Jean-Paul Dietrich said the army troops had reportedly raped civilians near the town of Kanyabayonga in overnight violence that lasted into Tuesday morning. Kanyabayonga is 60 miles (100 kilometers) north of the provincial capital, Goma. Dietrich said 700 to 800 Congolese soldiers fled Kanyabayonga and went on a rampage through several villages to the north. «They looted vehicles, they looted some houses,» Dietrich said by telephone from Kinshasa, the national capital. In New York, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Tuesday for an immediate cease-fire so that aid workers could urgently help «at least 100,000 refugees» cut off in rebel-held areas north of Goma. «Because of the ongoing fighting, these people have received virtually no assistance. Their situation has grown increasingly desperate,» Ban said. Aid workers were trying to gain access to the towns of Rutshuru and Kiwanja, both 10 miles (16 kilometers) south of Kanyabayonga in rebel-held territory, where they expected the need for food was urgent. In normal times, the two towns have a combined population of more than 150,000. But aid workers said they have no idea how many people are there now. At least 250,000 people have been displaced by 10 weeks of fighting between army troops and rebels led by renegade general Laurent Nkunda. A rebel spokesman said any aid workers who wanted to help civilians trapped on rebel-held territory would be safe.
«If there are NGOs who want to come to Rutshuru, they are welcome to come,» rebel spokesman Bertrand Bisimwa said. Congo's armed forces are notoriously ill-disciplined soldiers, historically better at looting than standing their ground. In recent days, AP journalists have seen them manning checkpoints drunk. As Nkunda's forces bore down on Goma in late October, the army retreated in tanks and commandeered cars, looting civilians along the way. Dietrich said the U.N. flew helicopters over the ravaged area Tuesday, carried out foot patrols, and initiated an investigation into the violence with the Congolese army. The fighting in eastern Congo is fueled by ethnic hatred left over from the 1994 slaughter of at least 500,000 Tutsis in neighboring Rwanda. Nkunda says he is fighting to protect minority Tutsis from Rwandan Hutu militants who participated in the genocide before escaping to Congo. A U.N. mission sent to Kiwanja, about 50 miles north of Goma, to investigate reports of massacres said Tuesday it had received «credible reports that civilians were targeted, that a large number of them were murdered,» U.N. spokeswoman Michele Montas said in New York. She said no exact death toll was available yet. The New York-based Human Rights Watch said at least 50 civilians were killed in Kiwanja _ mostly by rebels. Closer to Goma, the situation for displaced refugees was dire. «I haven't eaten properly in three weeks,» said Teoneste Dies, 22. He fled his home three weeks ago with his wife and three children, surviving on whatever potatoes they could scrounge. On Tuesday, he waited with thousands of others for food aid from the International Committee of the Red Cross. In Kibati, six miles from Goma, about 70,000 people are living in makeshift camps. A long line snaked through town Tuesday morning as villagers picked up oil, maize flour, salt and beans. Men were attempting to till a nearby field littered with volcanic rocks from an eruption in 2006. «Normally they never try to plant there,» said Abdallah Togola, an aid worker. «It's a big indication of how urgent the situation is.
Desire Burunga, 48, fled to Kibati with his four wives and twelve children in September, when fighting threatened his town of Kibumba. «We used to live together and have no problem,» said Burunga, a former county clerk. «After the affair in Rwanda, everyone has problems. Everyone is now aggressive after Rwanda. Relief officials say they have recorded at least 90 cholera cases around Goma since Friday. Seven more were admitted to a clinic in Kibati on Monday night. The World Health Organization said Tuesday it fears a cholera epidemic could break out if the fighting continues and people continue to live in makeshift camps without proper sanitation. At least 1,000 cases of cholera have been detected since the start of October.The agency has flown 60 tons (66 U.S. tons) of medical supplies to neighboring Uganda, which will be taken by road to eastern Congo. Human Rights Watch urged the U.N. Tuesday to increase the number of peacekeepers in eastern Congo to protect civilians. The organization said the Security Council should bolster the 17,000-strong U.N. force in Congo by 3,000 soldiers and police.
In Frankfurt, Germany, Rwandan President Paul Kagame said he and other African leaders were worried about the fighting. «Peace in our country cannot last for long unless our neighbors are at peace,» he said. «The fighting has to stop. Kagame said no Rwandan troops had been dispatched to Congo. Associated Press Writers Todd Pitman in Goma and Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations contributed to this report.