Update: Cutty Sark blaze caused by an overheating vacuum cleaner
The devastating Cutty Sark blaze was caused by an overheating vacuum cleaner, according to reports today. Apparently guards failed to notice that the vacuum cleaner was running, and it burst into flames.
Lazy guards failed to spot a running vacuum on the Cutty Sark which started a devastating fire.
One had fallen asleep in a cafe reading his Bible at 9pm while his mate failed to do patrols, a police inquiry found.
Just after 4am the men were in their security hut and smelled burning.
But they delayed calling the fire service for 30 minutes by which time the 139-year-old sailing ship was well alight, causing £10million of damage.
Det Chief Insp Dave Garwood said yesterday: "Had they not taken it easy and put their feet up they could have prevented the fire taking hold."