Many die as mosque minaret collapses in Morocco
Moroccan State TV is now reporting that 32 people have died and 68 have been injured citing Interior Ministry officials.
Initial reports suggested at least 11 people died after a mosque minaret collapsed in the Moroccan town of Meknes.
Many more have been injured as the minaret fell during Friday prayers on around 300 worshipers. It is feared that a number of people are trapped in the rubble.
Officials from the Moroccan Interior Ministry believe the accident may have been caused by recent heavy rain weakening the minaret at the Bab Berdieyinne Mosque.
The collapse came after "heavy rains which lashed the region for several days," the television report said.
The ministry announced earlier that the minaret of the Berdieyinne mosque in Meknes' Old City toppled at 7:45 a.m. ET during weekly prayers. It gave an initial toll of at least 11 dead.
Dozens of people were injured in the accident at the Berdieyinne mosque in Meknes' old city during Friday prayers.
A doctor at the scene told Reuters news agency he had counted 13 corpses as they were being pulled out by rescuers.
Up to 80 people were reportedly trapped beneath the rubble. The minaret is said to have been four centuries old.
A 400-year-old minaret collapsed Friday in Meknes, Morocco, killing 11 people and injuring 50, the Interior Ministry reported, according to the official news agency Maghreb Arabe Presse.
The interior and religious affairs ministers were at the site to supervise rescue operations. King Mohammed VI has meanwhile ordered the reconstruction of the minaret "keeping to its original form."