Va. Tech Families Reach $11M Settlement
Families of the Virginia Tech shooting victims have reached a tentative $11 million settlement deal with the state of Virginia, however, it is unclear whether this differs from an earlier state proposal made last month (as per the attached videos).
Families of the victims in the Virginia Tech shootings have reached a tentative $11 million settlement with the state, Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said Thursday. The deal is designed to prevent future lawsuits.
Kaine said a "substantial majority" of families of victims of the Virginia Tech shootings agreed to the settlement.
Peter Grenier and Douglas Fierberg, who represent 21 families, also confirmed the settlement but would not discuss its terms until final papers are drawn in a few days.
Kaine spokesman Gordon Hickey described the settlement as "a work in progress."
"We're discussing things with the families. There's still a confidentiality agreement we're honoring until it's signed and in place," Hickey said.
Attorney General Bob McDonnell's office had no comment on the settlement, spokesman Tucker Martin said.
Seung-Hui Cho, a mentally disturbed student, killed 32 victims and wounded two dozen others at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007 before committing suicide. Twenty-two families had previously filed notice with the state that they may sue.
It was not immediately clear whether the settlement was significantly different from an earlier state proposal, the details of which were obtained last month by The Associated Press. That proposed deal totaled roughly $8.5 million plus the cost of reimbursing and paying for medical and psychological treatment for victims' families and survivors.