Venezuela releases recordings of purported plot
rahul | September 19, 2008 at 07:08 amby
98 views | 0 Recommendations | 0 comments
2008-09-19 05:13:04 - CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - Venezuelan state television broadcast new recordings Thursday of what the government says are current and former military officers discussing a plot to overthrow President Hugo Chavez. In one recording, a voice identified as ex-Gen. Wilfredo Barroso says, «We tried to get the gringos to support us in December,» either with satellite phones or satellite transmissions. Chavez has accused the U.S. of trying to oust him. American officials have vehemently denied it. The dates of the recordings were not given. They included fragments of discussions between the suspects, who include both retired and active officers. Chavez said the plotters considered blowing up his plane or attacking the presidential palace. Five suspects have been detained. In another portion of the recordings, a voice identified as Barroso says state-run media could «be destroyed» while other private media would be left on the air _ apparently to allow those involved to get their messages out to the public.
Chavez survived a failed coup in 2002 and has repeatedly accused his opponents of trying to depose him since then.
These members have powered this story: