An opponent of U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler, D-Delray Beach, has accused the six-term congressman of playing a residency shell game, saying Wexler pretends to keep an address in Florida while flagrantly making his home in Maryland.
Edward Lynch, a Republican running for Wexler's congressional seat, is taking his argument to the Fox News program The O'Reilly Factor at 8 p.m. tonight.
"The house he lists on his voter registration is his in-laws' house in a gated 55-and-older community," Lynch said this afternoon. "Legally, he can't move back with children under 18."
Lynch said Wexler's three children attend Charles W. Smith Jewish Day School in Rockville, Md.
A spokesman for Wexler denounced the accusations as "nothing more than a baseless political attack."
"Congressman Wexler moved to Florida when he was 10 years old and he has continually met Florida's residency requirements ever since," wrote the spokesman, Josh Rogin, in an e-mail message. "As Members of Congress have since the founding of the nation, he also keeps a home (in) the Washington area so his wife and three children can be with him while he serves in Congress."
Fox confirmed the issue would be discussed tonight on the program. Host Bill O'Reilly often calls his show the "No Spin Zone," although liberal critics dispute that description.
The outspoken Wexler is the author of the recent memoir Fire-Breathing Liberal: How I Learned to Survive (and Thrive) In the Contact Sport of Congress.
Lynch, meanwhile, said he intends to file legal papers about the issue in the coming weeks.
"That brings up a bunch of problems with respect to it is not truly his home, and it can't be his home, and he's using that address as his address to vote from," Lynch said.
Lynch faces Wexler and no-party candidate Ben Graber in the Nov. 4 election for Florida's 19th Congressional District.More on palmbeachpost.com
Expand this list More Stories
- Obama launches Web site to debunk wave of rumors
- Both candidates planning campaign stops in Florida
- I'm a reformer, McCain tells Florida newspapers editors
- Big-spending Atwater boasts largest war chest
- ProAmerica Web Site to Shut Down
- GOP Candidates Talk Tough on Learning English, Advertise in Spanish
- GOP candidates talk tough on learning English; advertise in Spanish
- Blackburn: I shall never CO2 as lovely as a tree
- Property tax amendment faces opposition
- State agency criticizes details in Palm Beach County water plan
Related Subjects Expand this list More Related Subjects