Will Says... it's Veteran's day!
This is a reprint of my comments from two years ago when our President was Bush.
Now, all I know is what I see on the street corners. Today is Veterans Day and to celebrate it, the homeless veterans will be having a parade, on your local street corners. The theme for this year is "Nothings changed, and it has gotten worse!" Now just the other day I heard the news where President Bush and his cronies made the statement that they were going to work towards changing this situation for the vets. They are doing what I call the "working backwards" plan.
See, most vets when they signed up for this Red White and Blue Bill of Goods thought that since they had the United States of America in their best interest that the USA would have their basic needs in their thoughts and prayers. Well, it seems like the government did not get there prayers answered, because almost 200 thousand of these has been heroes are living on the streets and NOT living the American dream. Unless you consider a cardboard box a condominium.
If you walk down the street or drive down our roads you see these vets not standing tall or not being able to stand at all. Not proud to be American just lost in red tape. Now, the hardest thing to do is spot a vet in need. It is easy to spot a homeless person; Vets only make up 25% of the homeless. The other 75% are just homeless and should get a job. But no one will hire them, which makes that task a little hard to do. No one will hire a homeless vet, cant trust um, even though the government trusts them on the front lines. Some folks think give them a hand out, some say don't. But all they really want is a helping hand.
In our society, we have a place for people who don't follow the rules; they get what is coming to them. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. We call it a prison.
Prison folks that spend time in the slammer and only know the slammer, and when they come out they have nothing but a few bucks to there name and most cases will commit a crime to get back to that comfortable lifestyle they had in the prison. Now, it is pretty sad that they would think that being in a place we consider to be hell, is their "Home Sweet Home". The only difference to me seems to be that prisons have a way back to food and shelter, homeless vets don't. Our government won’t take them back under their wing because they are all shot up and mentally destroyed.
I think it may be time to make sure that we give every American what is due to them, food in there stomach's and a roof over there heads. Especially the folks that fought to get us where we are now, eating freedom pie.
Cause you know we will have another wave of vets coming through the system very soon.
Subscribe to daily cartoon:
Follow Will's Twitter:
"All I Know Is What Little I Read On The Examiner!"