Winemaking Fumes Kill Three In Portugal
Three amateur winemakers died in Portugal after inhaling toxic carbon dioxide released in the fermenting process.
The three winemakers were found dead inside a 1.5 meter (5ft) deep wine tank in Coimbra, Portugal. Officials think the couple who lived in the house inhaled the poisonous gases first, and the third individual died trying to help them out of the tank.
Fermentation of grapes releases carbon dioxide, which is heavier than air and therefore sinks to the ground. It is important to keep any wine making facility well ventilated.
"We are faced every year with accidents of this kind because people do not know that these gases are dangerous, especially in a poorly ventilated small space like that cellar," said Carvalho.