World Hunger Day 2012, May 28 - Feed the Children
Well you might have read it on Forbes, or heard it on BBC, “May 28th is World Hunger Day” echoing all around media. First of all, why does HUNGER need a day to celebrate? Isn’t everyone in the planet striving to eradicate hunger? Then, why should hunger be given a day to commemorate? For this, let us first understand the stance of hunger in the world.
The population of our beloved world is 7.009 billion in the year 2012 according to sources from United States Census Bureau. This count is drastically growing out of boundaries, creating new issues to curb. Approximately 15% of the world’s total population i.e. 1 billion people lead their life in severe poverty and hunger. Shockingly about 20,000 people die in hunger EVERY DAY!
Why hunger? This is indeed a very deplorable situation which does need an “immediate” attention, even though it is not an illustrious crisis. Notably, most of the deaths from hunger which are happening all over the world are not because of any natural calamities! Although deaths caused by hunger at the time of natural calamities do exist; it takes only a 10% of total death by hunger’s share. The rest 90% of death is a grand courtesy of chronic hunger! It is drastically spreading to all corners of the world and also rooting strongly in the parts like Africa, Latin America and South Asia.
This entrenched hunger problem is not only due to food scarcity, but also due to deficiency in many aspects. Many people fail to earn income for their daily share of bread because of reasons like: lack of skills and education. Again, the underprivileged sadly have to surrender to chronic hunger to health due to the absence of hospitals, medicines, funds and knowledge about it. These aspects strengthen chronic hunger, therefore, the underprivileged are always in search for a helping hand to raise their voice. Thus “World Hunger Day” was coined to create an awareness of these kinds of situations.
In India, hunger plays a major role in the downfall of the economy, ranking shamefully in 67th place in Global Hunger Index! More than 231 million people in India are undernourished which is the highest than every other country in the world and 42% of India’s children are underweight clearing indication India’s “Chronic Hunger” situation.
Children, once hit by chronic hunger, their education become the primary target! They tend to withdraw their rights to education and health. 12.6 million Children in India seek to work to gratify their self’s and family’s needs of hunger.
As every year, World Hunger Day needs to motivate and inspire people suffering from chronic hunger in under-developed, developing and developed parts of the world. This enables to create a common goal amongst many to realize their strength to curb hunger based upon their own self reliability.
Let us join hands with The Akshaya Patra Foundation to eradicate hunger. Let us support us on this noble cause to eventuate a “Hunger Free World”. Sponsor Food for Children for this World hunger day 2012.